How Men Can Reduce Their Risk of Vein Disease


\"VaricoseSome men (and majority of women) believe that varicose veins and spider veins are just a female problem. However, as part of Men’s Health Month in June, Dr. Lev Khitin of the New York Vein Treatment Center is promoting the fact that while 60% of those who suffer from vein diseases are women, the remaining 40% are men. Those are hardly the proportions of a problem that only affects women. The good news is that both genders can reduce their risk of developing vein diseases and there are modern, minimally invasive vein treatment modalities that are more effective than ever before.

What are the main vein diseases risk factors for men in Manhattan?

There are a variety of risk factors for vein disease. Some of these factors are things we can do something about, while other risk factors are pretty much out of our control. For example, if you are over age 50, you’re at increased risk. Fifty percent of those who suffer from vein disease are over 50. Also, if you have a family history of vein disease, you are more likely to suffer from it yourself. Perhaps you know a relative who has sought treatment from a varicose vein center or spider vein center in the past. If so, don’t worry if they report unpleasant procedures and extensive recovery times when treating circulation problems – those days are over!

In terms of vein disease risk factors you can do something about, lifestyle factors play a significant role in the development of circulation problems. Being overweight or obese is a risk factor, because the extra weight places extra stress on our veins. And stress on the veins can contribute to venous insufficiency, which is the result of a weakening of the vein walls and valves. When the walls and valves of our veins weaken, they can stretch and swell, leading to pooling of blood in the veins and the resulting varicose veins and spider veins. People who are sedentary and who must spend long periods of time on their feet also have increased stress on their veins and are more likely to need vein diseases treatment at some point in their lives.

What can men do to reduce their risk of vein diseases?

Clearly, maintaining a healthy weight and can go a long way to reducing your risk of vein disease. In fact, a common recommendation of vein specialists after vein disease treatment is for patients to manage body weight and begin exercising in order to prevent the recurrence of varicose veins and spider veins.

Additionally, if you are able to alternate long periods of standing with walking, sitting, and reclining, you’ll give your legs a break from having to work against gravity for so long.

Dr. Khitin would be happy to offer you a professional venous health evaluation along with recommendations for strategies to reduce your risk of vein diseases. If you already have circulation problems, our vein specialists will offer you the latest and most effective treatment performed on-site in our Manhattan office, on an outpatient basis.

Your best first step is to arrange a visit the New York Vein Treatment Center for an initial consultation. Please call our office at (212) 575-8346 today. We look forward to meeting you.

Start Your Journey To Feeling Good Again!

Schedule your Appointment Today with NYC's most Trusted and Comprehensive Vein Treatment Center